Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's Raining Fruit

I noticed an interesting thing in our neighborhood.  Most people have some sort of fruit tree and most people have three or more.  Take us for instance, we moved here less than a year ago but we are the proud owners of five fruit trees.  All of which we planted earlier this year.
The unusual thing, in my opinion, is that people  have them as ornamental trees.  Everywhere I go I see fruit on the ground.  It’s a shame. 
Last year, we noticed that two houses down from ours was a vacant house with an orange tree in the front yard right by the sidewalk.  Towards the end of the year the tree was covered with beautiful oranges.  No one was picking them and soon they started to fall from the tree.
I decided that we would make use of them.  Next thing you know, my sister and I are picking tons of oranges from the tree.   Over the next couple of months my friends and family also became the beneficiaries of the fruit from the abandoned orange tree. 
Last Saturday, while coming back from my morning walk, I saw this lady cutting some branches of a grapefruit tree and she had several grapefruits on the ground.  I asked her if I could buy some of them and she replied that I could have them as she was going to toss them in the trash.  She said they weren’t good.  I took a couple to try them.  As soon as I got home, I cut one up and they were sweet and juicy and delicious.  I then went back and asked her if I could have the rest?  By then, she had put them in the trash.   I could not believe it, beautiful fruit in the trash.  I pull them out of the can and brought them home and made a pitcher of grapefruit juice.   Who knew, one person’s trash is another person’s breakfast juice.




Another tree I see here a lot is the Olive.  They are everywhere.  There is one near our house shaped like a mushroom but the olives go to waste. The other day I was walking by the golf course and something hit me on the head.  It was an olive.  Just look at the sidewalk.



I need to come up with an idea.  Maybe I can bring them home and brine them.  I’ll have the give that some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment